Thursday, November 5, 2009

Wow was that early...

So this morning I went to the gym before work. That’s the first time I’ve been before work in almost 3 years, and I have to say, I have a lot of admiration for the folks who can get up that early (5 a.m. for me) to work out on a regular basis. There were a lot more people at the gym than I anticipated. Seemed to be a few more housewives and older people than usual, but overall, a pretty diverse crowd.

I had an unusual experience in the locker room, and even though I usually subscribe to the sentiment that what occurs in the locker room should stay in the locker room, I’m going to share this particular experience. I happened to notice this old guy (unintentionally, I assure you) changing in to his gym shorts. What surprised me was not only how old this guy was (in his 70s at least), but the fact that before he slipped on the gym shorts it was apparent to all he was wearing…zebra striped panties. While my first reaction was a deeply disturbed “OMG-what did I do to deserve such a visual image,” I couldn’t help but ponder the situation a bit more on my drive to work.

This guy deserves some credit. Firstly, he’s in his seventies and getting up at 5 am to go the gym. I only hope I have that much perseverance when it comes to taking care of myself in the later years. And secondly, this guy must have a pretty awesome sense of self-esteem. If in my old age if I can have the confidence to wear, in public (more or less), zebra striped panties, or leopard panties, or even better yet, a hot pink thong with yellow and purple polka dots…I will consider mine to have been a life well lived:)

No comments:

Post a Comment