Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Pelican Brief-aka ¡Hola México!


This upcoming week I will be going on what may prove to be my most unusual vacation to date. At long last, I will be traveling to a Spanish speaking country. Thought I’d be brushing up on the Spanish prior to the trip, but a little focused elsewhere right now. Fortunately, I watched some Spanish TV the other day and seemed to be able to understand what they were saying well enough…so not totally nervous from that standpoint. Probably the scariest thing is that I’m going to a foreign country all by myself, but, I’m pretty sure that is for the best.

I scheduled (and paid for) this vacation over 6 months ago when I had planned to go to Mexico in May. However, that was right around the time the swine flu scare took hold, and not wanting to be “the one” who brought it home, I went to southern Utah instead. Fortunately, didn’t cost me a dime extra to reschedule for the fall. What is unusual about this vacation is that it is more of a study retreat than an actual vacation, as I take the big exam a week from Tuesday. Of course I plan to do some fun stuff while there, but I also plan to spend a rather large chunk of my time studying (hence better to be going alone). Studying that intensely is fairly stressful, and being isolated in a foreign country may be just what I need. Definitely looking forward to freedom from the damn blackberry…

Oh, regarding the pelican. My parents went to Cabo (where I’m going) a couple of years ago and told me about these cool gray pelicans. Hope I see one.

No comments:

Post a Comment