Thursday, May 13, 2010

I totally stole this one

My sister in-law posted this, and I think it's worth sharing. I don't know if I believe in God. In some respects I think I do, but rest assured there is no organized religion in my future. I fundamentally do not have faith in people who say god has spoken to them (for me).

However, as I've gotten older, and hopefully a bit wiser, I've come to realize that being bitter or upset about humanities proclivity toward religious belief (and it's inherent injustices) is a waste of time. The fact is, life is tough. (So we're clear Jenna, this message is not for you...just me reflecting). Anyways, things that remind us that love trumps hate, that sharing is better than selfishness...they're not so bad. And when people work together to make life better...

Anyways, here's what I stole (and my comments):

1. God won't ask what kind of car u drove. He'll ask how many people u drove who didn't have transportation. (Good thing...cause old blue is falling apart)

2. God won't ask the square footage of your house, He'll ask how many people u welcomed in your home. (So far 17. Well that was the most at one time.)

3. God won't ask about the clothes u had in your closet, He'll ask how many u helped clothe. (Hmmm...maybe I shouldn't show God my closet)

4. God won't ask what your highest salary was. He'll ask if you compromised your character to obtain it. (Hope I haven't)

5. God won't ask how many friends u had. He'll ask how many people to whom u were a friend. (Working on it)

6. God won't ask what neighborhood you lived in, He will ask how u treated your neighbors. (Haven't met them all yet, but I try to be nice)

7. God won't ask what your job title was. He will ask if u performed your job to the best of your ability. (To the best of my ability...within reason)

8. God won't ask about the color of your skin, He'll ask about the content of your character. (I really would prefer blue)

9. God won't ask why it took you so long to seek salvation. He'll lovingly take you to your mansion in heaven and not to the gates of hell. (I actually like this one even though I prefer to think of the afterlife as one of the great mysteries of existence. I do think it is really foolish to live life in fear of hell and frankly, I see this as one of the great tragedies of religious thought over the centuries. This punishment mentality is just WAY too much fear. Live life to be happy...deep down. If there is a god, I'm willing to bet everything on this: God knows how hard all these decisions were...and God plays fair.)

10.God won't have to ask how many people u forwarded this to. He already knows your decision. (sorry, but this one just bugged)

2 comments:

  1. i agree on the last one. but i get a million forwards a day at work. which is interesting because they are banned. haha! but my favorite one was the salary because so many people think its all about the money. but really it isn't. its about living and doing good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. agreed...thanks for the post and letting me swipe it:)

    seriously...it's good to be reminded of stuff like that from time to time.

    btw...missed you Sunday. hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete