Sunday, January 10, 2010

Reflections on the book of wisdom...

So this weekend I finished reading the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey. Well, technically I read Los 7 hábitos de la gente altamente efectiva, with the English version as an occasional (okay, pretty much at least one word or phrase every page) reference.

It was the second “big book” I’d read all the way through in Spanish, and I must say, it does feel like quite an accomplishment. I wish it hadn’t taken me an entire year to complete, but that’s mostly because there were more than a few distractions along the way.

I had read the book before (in English) about 12 years ago, but this time it meant so much more. Well, I feel like (at least recently) I’ve been able to see the ideas in a less perfectionistic light, and they seem to be a lot more user friendly that way. Now, rather than “rules to be obeyed” I see them more as observations and tools that present opportunities for a happier life.

A caution I have regarding the seven habits (mostly for myself but also for others) is to remember that we are not gods and we never will be. There can only be one all powerful being…and that being is NOT me. We are capable of many great things, but achievement is only a small part of living…acceptance of our very human limitations…and allowing ourselves to take the time to relax and enjoy life…is just as important.

Okay, I’ll get off my soap box and say a bit about the habits. I sincerely do believe they are incredibly profound ideas, and yeah, I want to share them:

1) Be Proactive-Sea proactivo. This habit is about accepting responsibility for our own lives and recognizing that whatever happens in life, an element of choice ALWAYS remains. A huge responsibility, to think that whether or not I’m happy or sad is under no one's control but my own…but also an incredible opportunity and reason to hope.
2) Begin with the End in Mind-Empiece con un fin en mente. If we don’t know where we want to go, the odds of getting there are pretty slim. This one also has a lot to do with values, and answering the question for ourselves…who do I really want to be?...and what would I really like to do with the time I have for living?
3) Put First Things First-Ponerlo primero primero. This habit is about organizing our lives so that we are living according to our values. Doing the things we need to do to not only get by, but also to make our dreams a reality.
4) Think Win/Win-Piense en ganar/ganar. Too often in life we go for win/lose, or lose/win. Selfishness vs. self-sacrifice. We all have needs, as Covey states, the needs to live, to love, to learn, and to leave a legacy. In pursing fulfillment of those needs, it is very worthwhile to strive to meet the needs of others along the way. If win/win is not an option, “no deal” is often better than lose/win…and rarely means lose/lose.
5) Seek first to understand, then to be understood-Procure primero comprender-y depsués ser comprendido. In the epilogue to recent editions of the book, Stephen admits that this is the most difficult habit for him to live. It is perhaps the most difficult habit for me to live too. How many times in life have I said to myself “wow, I really misunderstood?” How much confusion and stress could be avoided if we took the time to truly listen to one another. We can be fast with things…but with people…we must be slow.
6) Sinergy. Sinérgia. I struggle with this one a bit too. I remember 12 years ago reading this section, and perhaps mostly because I was so incredibly shy thinking “fat chance.” The idea here is that working together, by appreciating and valuing each others differences, we can accomplish not only more…but much more.
7) Sharpen the Saw. Afile la sierra. This habit is about continually maintaining (and inevitably growing) ourselves. Getting regular exercise and eating appropriately to have a healthy body…which in turn contributes to a healthy mind. Reading regularly to benefit from the ideas of others. Building relationships by continually making deposits into each others emotional bank accounts. Gaining a broad perspective on life…and figuring out what it is one should truly value.

Okay, I spent a bit longer on this project than I anticipated. Have a fairly busy day ahead of me at work and should probably head to bed. Great ideas…that in the proper context…can bring about great things…and make life just that much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment